In my opinion possibly one of the most interesting things to be shown at Amiga32 from what I heard this weekend, and sadly not mentioned much, is the showing of a new version of AmigaOS 3.1 by Hyperion. Caught it on FB thanks to EAB user SimonV
, all credit to him who was showing it at the expo! Photos pinched from there.
Olaf has talked about this a bit here, but I think this is the first time it's shown in the wild, and it actually sounds really exciting.
I transcribe here a sum-up of the text of the "What's new?":
Updated AmigaOS 3.1 by Thomas Richter and Olaf Barthel
Lots of bug fixes and:
- Fast File System with native 64-bit support for NSD, TD64 and direct SCSI, long filenames and resizable media support
- CrossDOS with native 64-bit support for NSD, TD64 and direct SCSI support, long filenames and resizable media support, new mfm.device
- Format, DiskCopy and HDToolbox with 64-bit support based on NSD, TD64 and direct SCSI support, plus bug fixes
- C:Mount for large media, direct SCSI support and resizable removable media
- Working soft links for the RAM disk and Fast File System
- Shell tools with long filename support, softlinks and large media support
- Math libraries that reconfigure themselves when an FPU becomes available after loading.
- New DIR command with nicely formatted output
- New Workbench that also copies links
- CPU command with 68060 support
- exec.library that no longer dies on 68060
- SetPatch, without NSDPatch and RomUpdates (not needed anymore)
- Intuition with off-screen window dragging
- aux-handler now completely rewritten in C. No more BCPL code in AmigaOS!
- More bugfixed portions: audio.device, asl.library, Compugraphic fonts, diskfont and fixfonts, icon.library, iffparse.library, Installer, iPrefs, Locale, parallel and serial devices, RAMlib and RAMdrive, rexxsyslib, scsi.device, speak-handler, More, and others
- Added V45 layers.library, V45 execute command, V46 Shell
Hopefully we get to see this released soon!